Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey In The Spotlight For Being Heavy On The Darker Side

Fifty Shades of Grey authored by British E.L.James is an erotic fictional novel, the first of a trilogy of books that outperformed on several bestseller lists but also endured censorship at some local public libraries.  Just in case you lived under a rock and haven't heard about this book, chances are you are a) male or b) just like me, you don't particularly jump at the thought of reading novels, or both.

I haven't read a novel since I discovered The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield about 2 years ago.  A good read, I stumbled upon this book in the gym and was immediately drawn to it by the cover. I eventually got a pdf copy and read it cover to cover.  A rare feat indeed!

It is going to take another such inspirational moment to drive me to reading a novel again and it looks like the moment is now.  A few colleagues from work have announced glowing reviews only a few pages into their readings, and I never butted an eye.  Then Tara, a very good friend calls from St. John's, New Foundland.  She is already 300 pages into Fifty Shades of Grey.  She gives me a brief synopsis and I agree to find out why this book has captured the imagination of some and ignited the fantasies of others.

So anyways compliments Tara, I obtain a pdf copy and promptly loads it on the iPad.  One chapter into the novel and Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs is under way so I suspend the reading as I hate missing live events, especially those of the Sports variety.

I imagine it will be a while before I get through this book at which point I will make a determination to complete the trilogy which includes two other volumes namely Fifty Shades Darker and Fifty Shades Freed.

In March 2012, A Florida Public Library removed Fifty Shades of Grey from their shelves arguing that it neither met their selection criteria nor did it receive favourable reviews, even though there was very high interest in the book from the county library patrons.  So thus more fuel was added to the fire of controversy shrouding this novel helping propel it to the top of bestseller lists in the US, UK and around the world. The Library will eventually succumb to pressure and popular demands and return the books to their shelves where they sit indexed in the categories Romance, Suspense and Erotica.

Apparently this book is very popular among thirty something year old moms, so if you fit the demographic you might want to check it out here.  So give it a read and draw your own conclusions...
And if you have already read, let us hear your thoughts about the book.

Thanks for stopping by!




No comments:

Post a Comment